Zucchini and Brentwood Corn Fritters – A Blend Of Summer Flavors
One of the best ways to experience a blend of summer flavors is with Zucchini and Brentwood Corn Fritters. Summer throughout our local backroads means strawberries, cherries, fresh squash, zucchini, tomatoes, and Brentwood’s sweet Diamond white corn. Living in the middle of the Delta’s rich growing valley means access to the best and brightest flavors of summer right in our own backyard. Today, we spent the afternoon exploring freshly picked produce at Dwelley Farm Stand in Oakley, CA. Because we can’t overlook corn in the summer, we decided to pair it with some gorgeous zucchini from the farm store to make Zucchini and Brentwood Corn Fritters. This recipe highlights the bright flavors of corn with the fresh taste of recently picked garden zucchini tied together with rich mozzarella and herbs. Zucchini and Brentwood Corn fritters are the perfect addition to any summer meal.
Ingredients for Zucchini and Brentwood Corn Fritters
- 1 pound of shredded and drained zucchini
- 1/2 cup of grated white onion
- 1 cup of Brentwood sweet corn
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or 1 Tbsp. fresh).
- Olive oil for cooking
Instructions for Cooking Zucchini and Brentwood Corn Fritters
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, corn, egg, and cheese. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and basil.
- Heat olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, spoon the zucchini mixture by Tablespoon. Flatten the tops with a spatula and cook until golden brown, which is about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Serve the fritters warm as is, or with a dollop of sour cream. These are also delicious topped with a thin slice of tomato and fresh herbs of your choice.
NOTES: Be sure to squeeze as much excess moisture from the zucchini as possible after it is shredded. Try using cheesecloth or a dishtowel. The more moisture you can get out, the crispier your fritters will be!
Where to Shop For Ingredients
Dwelley Farms provides you with a large variety of local produce. From Brentwood sweet corn, zucchini, apricots, peaches, peppers, and fresh pies, Dwelley Farm is located at 515 Delta Road in Oakley, CA. During fruit season, the stand is open Monday – Saturday 8 am – 6 pm. Sundays they are open from 8 am – 5 pm. The fruit stand does accept credit cards, offers ample parking, and provides shopping basket and bags for your convenience.